Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Running a Clean Campaign

I didn't run into this Slate article, Barack Track until today. I think it does a good job of pointing out the difference between Sen. Obama's words and actions about running a clean campaign.

As the senator's campaign train wound from one speech where he denounced tit-for-tat politics to the next speech where he denounced tit-for-tat politics, his campaign hosted a conference call to engage in the practice the candidate was busy denouncing.
I do agree with one thing he said:
"I'm not interested in having debates about flag pins...I'm interested in having debates about how we're going to send our kids to college and get our troops home from Iraq."
My first two serious discussions with fans of Sen. Obama resulted in utter frustration because neither were willing discuss issues. The foundation and walls of his campaign are all built on integrity, honesty, and a unifying nature-not issues. It then becomes difficult to engage him on the issues when he's using rhetoric more than facts and reason. If that's what he brings to the table, I think it is certainly fair game to question that.

He told at least two clear lies about "non-issues" in the last debate, but of course if you try to call him on it he'll accuse you of "playing politics." I would guess it would simply be easier to tell the truth on those issues and approach them head on. Instead we get lies and "...this wont matter to the American public on election day." Forgive me if I place the blame for some of these non-issues square in Sen. Obama's lap.

No comments: